Oct 29, 2010

Valerie Kameroff

Grandmother Poems

Standing

She is taking up her fire
bringing her Self
to dance in the glow
of her rhythm.
Rising to her feet
with magic in her hand
She quit asking.
She quit begging.
The moon has slanted.
The balance is here.
She is taking up her
Heaviness,
this new offering
to her Grandmothers
to her Children.
The Song is flowing rich now.
The Creator whispers.
We are all here
Now.
We are all here.
__________

Grandmother

Grandmother The Old One
she shuffles close beside me
speaking softly repeating secrets
of the Long Ago and of the Healing.
She sits in front
of my slouched body
peering into me
chanting The Ancient Song
Of Life.
Draped in brown cray paper skin
her hands tend the seal oil lamp
so that I may see
when I care to open my eyes.
Young and stubborn
I cling to struggle as a lover.
She touches my young hair
whispering Un guck gook.
All my life her deep voice
from Ages and Generations
The Old Woman Un guck gook
Medicine Woman.
She is patient
and waits
for my heart
to listen.
__________

How Grandmother Speaks

Something happened
then, I lost the place
I put it.
Something says Something
then leaves.
Some Words
Hang in the bowl
of my stomach
then disappear
only hinting
when they will
bring their sisters
so I can eat
and talk about
this Magic
so I can ask
What’s happening to me?
Of what has been taken
Of my mother?
Here I surround myself
with cigarettes, caffeine,
books, and excuses
for the rent.
This Magic
this Miracle
struggling for its
own survival
steals thoughts
begs for a moment
of my time.
I can not turn myself again
to the place
where the souls
of my feet
will gather
ashes
and
dust.
__________

Motherland

This is my Motherland.
This is the Womb.
She has cradled me
and all of my Ancestors.
She carries the basket
Full
of our memories
together.
I will stand
Here
in front of Everyone
and sing
loudly
my birth song
the one she sent
from the water.
I will stand
Here
in her wounds
from screeching steel
and cement
you have called gifts.
I will stand
and sing
My blood
is
Her blood.
__________

Myself – An Ancient Memory

On this ground
I have swayed
in silences
the trees
remembering my brown hands
pulsating drums.
I can hear them
in the far off distance
with my eyes closed
to the street lamps.
My vibrations
have taken shape
and solidified in my bones.
I am the miracle
my ancestors have concentrated
into being
a solid truth
listening.
__________

Lofty Expectations

I
gathered
myself
among the trees
today
cross-legged
holding
my Breath
listening
for their message.
“Nothing Urgent,”
they laughed.
We
just wanted
to see your
brown hair.


Biography:
Valerie Kameroff , a Yupik Eskimo woman from Alaska, had the freshest most radiant smile. Val studied for a time at Dartmouth, read at Stanford, and came back to Alaska where she performed her poems with the Wild Women’s Poetry Ensemble. Val died at the age of 28, a loss to us all. After she died her family came to my workplace and handed me an envelop with her hand written poems, “Do something with these.” Every few years I publish them on the web. Val’s voice is strong and tender and needed. On the second anniversary of her death she came to me in a dream and said, “Now I know that everything is made of nothing but love -remember this.” I leave you with these words. Remember them. – Barbara Flaherty

3 comments:

  1. After reading the biography, which put the poems into context, I reread them and was very moved by the rich content. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As one of the people who loved Val during her time at Dartmouth, I was pleased and surprised to come across this page. It is so wonderful that you are helping to keep her memory alive. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful poems. I am very glad to read them and have them come to live within me.

    ReplyDelete